FD TOUR Sightseeing incl. Acropolis & New Acropol
ATHENS full-day SIGHTSEEING incl. visit Acropolis & New Acropolis Museum (8-9hrs)
Our Professional Licensed Guide will be at the port of Piraeus to start from here the orientating tour of Athens. This tour takes you along the main-streets of Athens and the National Garden to Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament (= former Royal Palace) with in front the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, guarded by the ‘evzones’ dressed in their traditional costume. The drive continues by the Library – the Academy – the University, three buildings representing 19th century architecture blended with the classical influence. It will take you also along the Presidential Palace and a stop will be made at the Panathinaikon Stadium where the first Olympic Games of the modern times were held in 1896. The entire stadium is built of pure white marble. Then along the Temple of Olympic Zeus and the Hadrian’s Arch, the Acropolis will be reached. The Acropolis on which the symbol of classical architecture stands:the Partheon - the main temple, built in honour of Goddess Athena. Her statue decorated the centre of the temple and it was made of ivory and gold. Next to the Parthenon is the smaller Temple of Erechthion with lovely sculptured young maidens supporting the roof of the porch. From the top of the Acropolis you can admire the ancient theatre of Herodes Atticus with its remarkable acoustics.
After the guided visit some time at leisure will be given to stroll through the Plaka, the old part of Athens on the foot of the Acropolis and do a little shopping at the stores located at the base of the Acropolis.
After some time at leisure (opportunity to take pictures and to enjoy the view over Athens) descend on foot to the Plaka – the old part of Athens, lying on the slopes of the Acropolis. Opportunity for lunch on own expenses will be given.
The last visit of the tour will be to the Acropolis Museum – the new Jewel of Athens (opened in 2009) and considered to be one of the best museums of the World.
After this, the guide will take you back to the awaiting coach for the return-transfer to the port of Piraeus.
End of our services.
PRACTICAL REMARKS regarding the program:
* Handicapped passengers may join the tour but as the visit to the Acropolis involves approximately 80 steep steps: either have to remain at the base of the Acropolis, or they can make use the special elevator – for which an accompanying passenger is required.
* Passengers may not be allowed to enter the Acropolis-site with big bags/rucksacks.
* Depending on the number of visitors at the Acropolis, the site may close for a little while for security reasons which can cause some waiting time.These safety precautions are beyond our control.
* The New Acropolis Museum is closed on MONDAYS
* Program order: The order in which visits are mentioned might be changed and/or adjusted, according to circumstances
Private Professional Licensed Guide;
Transportation in comfortable A/C vehicles;
Private Professional Driver;
Entrance fee to Acropolis & New Museum Acropolis;
All parking and taxes.
Any gratuities for Guide & Driver;
Any meals and/or drinks (unless specifically mentioned);
Any kind of other personal expenses.