Maramures is the place where the time stands still. It is one of the few places in Romania and Europe where the old customs are still kept alive.
Maramures is a vivid museum in open space and it offers a real journey back in time.
Beautiful and warm people, singers, dancers, traditional costumes, old houses with big gates, wooden churches, are just some of the things you will see every day, walking through Maramures.
Our tour is more than just a hop on and off tour; it offers a true experience, a deep insight in the life of the locals.
Day 1: Bucharest – Sighetu Marmatiei, Maramures
We are heading to Maramures, Sighetu Marmatiei. Overnight in Sighetu Marmatiei.
Day 2: Maramures
Visit to the famous landmarks: The Merry Cemetery from Sapanta (it is in the top 10 of the most interesting, unique graveyards in the world); Barsana Monastery, wooden churches that are part of the UNESCO heritage. Overnight in Sighetu Marmatiei.
Day 3: Maramures
Walk through the villages of Maramures. We will see the women standing outside on the porch (a very common sight in the Romanian countryside), knitting. It is not unusual to see the women washing the carpets they make in a traditional washing machine called ,,valtoare’’ (natural whirlpool), using the water from the river. As we walk through the narrow alleys we will see the men who boil and make the famous strong drink called horinca (60% alcohol proof), in their own distilleries. Of course, they will be more than proud to invite you to taste their famous brew. Just around the corner, another neighbor is grinding the corn, using a special machine designed by him. Another very common sight in the villages is that of a family making a giant haystack…
We are not going to miss the most famous craftsmen. We will go inside their houses and see how they make the famous wooden gates; we will observe the women knitting their traditional costumes, bags or the traditional Maramures hats. Overnight in Sighetu Marmatiei.
Day 4: Maramures
Today we will do things very…very…slow! Yes, you are in for a great experience: a ride with the narrow and slow gauge steam train (Mocanita) on Vasser Valley. Later on, if there is a celebration, festival, or a Sunday service at the church, we will be a part of it. Overnight in Sighetu Marmatiei.
Day 5: Maramures – Bucharest
Return to Bucharest. End of program.
Highlights on this tour:
- famous landmarks: The merry cemetery from Sapanta (it is in the top 10 of the most interesting, unique graveyards in the world); Barsana Monastery, wooden churches that are part of the UNESCO heritage; a ride with the narrow gauge steam train (Mocanita) on Vasser Valley
- visits in the authentic villages deep in the heart of Maramures. These visits will show us the daily life of the locals and the famous craftsmen
- traditional lively nights spiced with dancing, singing and all sorts of religious celebrations. The locals are very fond and proud of their old traditions. They will all gather around, dressed in their costumes and take part in the most important events in their community; a celebration, festival, or a Sunday service at the church, all these are not to be missed
- do not forget about the traditional Romanian food and the kind and warm smile of the locals
- last but not least, enjoy the scenic landscapes of the rolling hills and mountains. Nature at its best!
Is this a story you could easily fall in love with? It certainly is. Join us for a unique experience in Maramures!
Available: all year round. Contact us for a price quotation and a customized offer.
Type of activity: cultural and rural
- Professional English-speaking tour guide for the duration of the tour
- Transportation in a fully air-conditioned, non-smoking vehicle
- Entrance fees at museums, churches, steam train tickets
- 4 Nights accommodation (with breakfast and dinner), 3* hotel
- Customary gratuities to guide and driver
- Any meals and/or drinks (unless mentioned)
- Any optional tours and services
- Any personal purchases